Station removal or demobilization conforms to the "leave no trace" ethic.
Removal of a station involves the following steps:
- Remove and pack the sensor
- Remove and pack the electronics
- Remove and pack the solar panels
- Remove and carefully roll the barbed wire fencing
- Remove all fence posts
- Remove, break up, and discard or recycle all PVC pipe
- Remove the sensor vault
- Fill all holes and level the site
We leave behind the poured concrete from the sensor vault as hole material, but remove all other materials and supplies. Local ranchers are often happy to receive any surplus wire, fence posts, and sensor vault barrels, thus reducing the magnitude of the waste disposal/recycling task.
A few stations were removed for relocation in the summer of 2008; demobilization of the experiment begins in ernest in late summer of 2009. This site will be revised at that time to show images of demobilization methods.